We had already finished top of the group as T Wells had a drawn match v Maidstone. I lost the toss and Rainham opted to play black on odds.
1. Martin Taylor 218 0.5-0.5 Paul Kelly 174
2. David JR Barnes 170 0.5-0.5 Robert Elliston 174
3. Tom Stonehouse 159 0.5 -0.5 Ray Brooks 166
4. Andy Waters 161 1-0 J Wheeler 163
5. Sydney Lunga 153 0-1 Mel Young 162
6. Bruce Morrison 137 0.5-0.5 D Gibbs 143
Ave 998/6 = 166.3 3-3 Ave 982/6 = 163.5
Ray had an early draw and left the building.
Jim lost an adventurous knight.
Mel misplayed his opening but still won.
Robert pressed but a draw was agreed.
I played an original game v Alekhine defence-achieved an equal position that I misplayed. Decided to give up exchange for a passed pawn that technically was winning for black but short of time I created problems and the gallery was entertained as I took advantage of some hasty moves to force Martin to offer the draw with 12 seconds left as my king was wedged between his passed pawns as my Rook checked from the back.
Daniel blundered an exchange but fought back to offer the draw after my game finished.